Caravan Reviews, Caravan Accessory Reviews
Caravan Reviews
Caravan sales and classifieds section
Caravan Sales
Useful Caravan Downloads
Caravan Downloads
Your Caravan Facts Account
Your Caravan Account
caravan forums, caravan reviews, UK Caravans, Caravan chat, aravanning, Caravan Campsite Reviews Outdoor Bits Motorhome Accessories
Advertise Here
Featured Classifieds

Random Campsite
Camping Du Bois De Boulogne

French Campsite France

Camping Du Bois De Boulogne Photo

Full Details

Caravanning Chat Rooms
Caravan Chat

0 Members connected
2 Chat Rooms
0 members chatting

Chat Now

Accessibility

(increase text size)

Top Caravanners
MemberPoints
1: Sysinfo6167
2: roboughton3580
3: gwc2515
4: ding07281918
5: mqqfgf1764
6: adria51584
7: topdog141496
8: mechanic1277
9: zz5201218
10: what131196
Learn more
Top 50 Users

Caravan Facts :: View topic - Hyundai santa fe or Freelander
BookmarksBookmarks  •   Watched TopicsWatched Topics  •   Arcade  •   Attachments  •   Buddy List  •   Forum FAQ  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Memberlist  •   Log in to check your private messages
View Online  •   Ranks  •   Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff Site  •   Log in 

Sponsor this forum
Welcome to Caravan Facts, we are a caravan community. Why Not JOIN NOW and get instant access to more of the website. It costs nothing to join and only takes a few minutes.
We also have unique facilities not found elsewhere such as our Online Logbook, stopover tracker, Caravan Business directory with Ebay type feedback and a repository of caravan campsites reviews.

Hyundai santa fe or Freelander

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Chat
 :: :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
squanky

Caravan: avondale dart 510/5
Towcar:toyota avensis estate 1.8

Medals: None

Referred By: Google
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject:  Hyundai santa fe or Freelander
Thank this member for this post Reply with quote

Furhet to my mini towbar crisis we are considering changing the car to suit our van. has anyone towed with a Hyundai Santa Fe? I have seen lots of good feedback on the Freelander, although it seems a little hit and miss at times. Also we are unsure if a switch to an automatic may be better - getting old, dodgy knees....

Many thanks
Langy01
Rally-er
Rally-er

Caravan: Swift Doublette
Towcar:Santa FE

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject:  

I have a Santa Fe (04 plate). This is the petrol 2.4 and seems to tow my Caravan fine. Yes in 5th you do have to drop down at times with some small hills, probably main reason would be oncoming wind.

The economy isn;t great but this is one of the cheapest 4x4's out there and they are very reliable.

When I looked in to the 4x4 market I think I checked out the What Car website where you can review all of the 4x4's on one of their links. For me it was a choice between the Santa Fe (which I chose), RAV4 (too small for a family), XTrail (again too smal in the back for a family car) or the CRV (heard too many issues that this was not a great tower).

The website reviews gave very little problems with the Santa Fe which was why I chose one.

Don't forget you will probably fall in to the high road tax bracket aswell.

Not sure what the Diesels are like but you will pay a lot more for those.

Paul

roboughton

Caravan: Buccaneer Caravel (06)
Towcar:Mercedes ML 280 CDI (09)

wales.gif

Referred By: Other Search Engine
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject:  

I think i would choose the Freelander, although do some research as some modles were quite unreliable so i am told. I know little about the Sante Fe but my brother seems to like Hundai. I would go for a bigger 4x4 personally to fit everything in, since you are going for the smaller of the 4x4s have you considered the Jeep Patriot i think the CRD won a Green 4x4 award last year.

hidehigo

Caravan: Elddis Oddysey 432 /2003
Towcar:Hyundai Santa FE 4X4

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject:  

Langy01 wrote:
I have a Santa Fe (04 plate). This is the petrol 2.4 and seems to tow my Caravan fine. Yes in 5th you do have to drop down at times with some small hills, probably main reason would be oncoming wind.

The economy isn;t great but this is one of the cheapest 4x4's out there and they are very reliable.

When I looked in to the 4x4 market I think I checked out the What Car website where you can review all of the 4x4's on one of their links. For me it was a choice between the Santa Fe (which I chose), RAV4 (too small for a family), XTrail (again too smal in the back for a family car) or the CRV (heard too many issues that this was not a great tower).

The website reviews gave very little problems with the Santa Fe which was why I chose one.

Don't forget you will probably fall in to the high road tax bracket aswell.

Not sure what the Diesels are like but you will pay a lot more for those.

Paul

Hi Paul we got a 05 model reg in 06 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 petrol, got it in may this yr only 45000 on clock full service history.
Do you have yours now ?? our caravan is only 750kg 2 berth swift, not towed it as yet but have towed a larger van with no probs.
We are thinking of puting LPG Conversion on santa fe in jan next yr.

Very Happy
snowy
Weekender
Weekender

Caravan: ABI Manhattan 490/5
Towcar:Hyundai tucson 2.0 crdt

england.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject:  

Hi mate, i tow a 1200kg ABI with a 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 diesel with auto gearbox. This is the smaller bodied version of the Santa Fe with the same engines and gearboxes and has a max towing weight of 1600kg.The Santa Fe will tow 2000kg. It tows really well and has been very reliable needing only a power steering pump in the last 5 years I've owned it. Getting around 36 mpg average when not towing and anything between 25 to 30mpg with the van on, dependant on wind, weather and terrain The only downside is the road tax at £280 per year - would recommend and you will get 3 or 4 years newer model than a Land Rover for the same money, cheers Snowy.
topdog14
Rally-er
Rally-er

Caravan: Coachman Vip
Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe

Referred By: Website Link
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject:  

We have a 2004 Santa fe with which we tow our coachman VIP. It has a 2 litre diesel engine and the caravan is around 1400-1500kg.We find that the Santa fe pulls the caravan well,though it does get a bit slow on hills.perhaps a bigger engine or lighter caravan is needed.Other than that we have had the car five years and find the Santa fe a solid reliable car.I would have no hesitation in buying another one.

Topdog14.
robwat

Caravan: none none
Towcar:Freelander 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject:  

We use a Freelander 2 HSE auto which tows our Swift 530 very well. The HSE SE4 has more HP that the standard and comes in abou t195. The Swift is a heavy van at 1638kg but the Freelander manages no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Printer-friendly version    Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: