Caravan Reviews, Caravan Accessory Reviews
Caravan Reviews
Caravan sales and classifieds section
Caravan Sales
Useful Caravan Downloads
Caravan Downloads
Your Caravan Facts Account
Your Caravan Account
caravan forums, caravan reviews, UK Caravans, Caravan chat, aravanning, Caravan Campsite Reviews Outdoor Bits Motorhome Accessories
Advertise Here
Featured Classifieds

Random Campsite
Binton Social Club CL

UK Campsite UK

Binton Social Club CL Photo

Full Details

Caravanning Chat Rooms
Caravan Chat

0 Members connected
2 Chat Rooms
0 members chatting

Chat Now

Accessibility

(increase text size)

Top Caravanners
MemberPoints
1: Sysinfo6167
2: roboughton3580
3: gwc2515
4: ding07281918
5: mqqfgf1764
6: adria51584
7: topdog141496
8: mechanic1277
9: zz5201218
10: what131196
Learn more
Top 50 Users

Caravan Facts :: View topic - hi from down under
BookmarksBookmarks  •   Watched TopicsWatched Topics  •   Arcade  •   Attachments  •   Buddy List  •   Forum FAQ  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Memberlist  •   Log in to check your private messages
View Online  •   Ranks  •   Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff Site  •   Log in 

Sponsor this forum
Welcome to Caravan Facts, we are a caravan community. Why Not JOIN NOW and get instant access to more of the website. It costs nothing to join and only takes a few minutes.
We also have unique facilities not found elsewhere such as our Online Logbook, stopover tracker, Caravan Business directory with Ebay type feedback and a repository of caravan campsites reviews.

hi from down under

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Introductions
 :: :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lalbander

Caravan: Avan Aliner
Towcar:Hyundai Santa Fe

Medals: None

Referred By: Google
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject:  hi from down under
Thank this member for this post Reply with quote

Hello, I just found your club.
I am an Aussie living in Perth, Western Australia.
Recently sold my Avan Aliner as it was a tad small and Igot tired of folding and unfolding it. It was our second Aliner. We did one complete circuit of Australia with it plus a half a dozen single nullabor crossings (from Perth to Sydney and Melbourne or vise versa) with it behind our 2009 Santa Fe.
Molly my parner andI love the free camping that is possible in the outback parts of the country. We like to get a campfire going, also I use a cobb cooker a lot.
I am looking around for a UK or European caravan as the locally made one use a construction method which is a bit behind the times. I will try and find a second hand one first, as there are a few companies bringing them in, but may end up with a new one. Bailey, Elddis, and Adria are imported to Australia new.
Oh yes, we havea small dog, called Amy, who is a brilliant traveller and loves camping too.
Regards
Geoff
Oldsalt
Part Timer
Part Timer

Caravan: Elddis Avante 574 2013
Towcar:2010 Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi KX-2 Auto

england.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject:  

Hi Geoff, Molly and Amy,

Welcome to the forum.
First, I have very fond memories of Perth, I visited when I served on HMS Hermes back in 1969, berthed at Freemantle. We were made very welcome by the citizens, especially the girls. We were shown around the Swan brewery and came out very well oiled! Hic!!
My favourite was camping for 2 week at Huskisson, it reminded me slightly of a wild west town. I know Jervis Bay is nowhere near you, but if you get lost in the outback, you could end up there I guess?
I'm unsure how robust British caravans are for the outback environment? Maybe they use a stronger construction? Anyway I expect someone will be along soon, who will be able to give you some superior knowledge.

David

Lalbander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject:  

Hi David
Great times, and Perth was a nice little place back then. "Freo" was a little sleepy port with continental feel.
Now, things have changed a little. The Swan brewery is now a block of high priced apartments with a restaurant in front. Perth has freeways and traffic jams.
I am sure Huskisson is different too. I travelled round in the 60s and many of the places I visited then, are now unrecognisable.
North Queensland is really different. Where there was usually a single lane road down to a pristine beach, now 4 lane dual carriageways and resort after resort.
So has the quality of outback roads changed, quite a lot.
Back then up in the north west you would be driving on gravel, now its sealed tarmac everywhere.
Elddis, Bailey, and Adria are imported here by the manufacturers. They beef up the c section chassis by using thicker metal.
But I think the privately imported ones with the British spec would be ok. Maybe spares would be difficult to get though.
We pay a bundle for caravans. An Adria 432PX is AUD $36,999.

Geoff
Oldsalt
Part Timer
Part Timer

england.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject:  

Geoff,

Things have changed indeed!! I have looked at Huskisson on Google Earth, it's not how I remember it. Even the RSL has gone, it was the most modern building there during my visit. Nowra where we were met by a navy bus is way way different.
Progress eh?
Out of interest is Swan beer still brewed? The only Aussie beer in the UK is Foster's I think.

David

Lalbander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject:  

Hi David, my memory isnt what it used to be, but I remember eating at the RSL.
As for Swan, when I was a kid they used to brew two brands, Swan Lager and Emu bitter, it was impossible to tell the two beers apart. A bit like duff brewery in The Simpsons, the same pipe goes to Duff lager, Duff premium, and Duff gold!
I think Swan lager is still made somewhere, but there are now so many different beers from all sorts of micro brewerys I don't think the brands are countable.
As for myself, I don't drink any more so couldn't tell you much about it.
Oh, except for when I visit my son and his family in Northern NSW.
THEN, I drink!
Picture towing your little caravan down a rough muddy track, wiping along the trees both sides, and coming to a clearing with a house. Its muddy everywhere. It rains and rains.
While I am setting up my van and annexe, my 2 y.o. grandson is pulling stuff out of my car and running off with it into the bush. I try to keep the doors locked all the time but he is too quick.
He tests the annexe poles to see if they will fall down. While I am picking them up, he tests the knots on the guy ropes.
So I drink while I am camping there. I drink anything. It's great fun, camping.
caravanlucy

Caravan: MAYFAIR 700 FENDT
Towcar:mercedes a class

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject:  

Hi Lalbander

Welcome to the club! Wink I have never been to Australia but would so love to go there one day... anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay here! Smile

Oldsalt
Part Timer
Part Timer

england.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject:  

Lalbander wrote:
Hi David, my memory isnt what it used to be, but I remember eating at the RSL.
As for Swan, when I was a kid they used to brew two brands, Swan Lager and Emu bitter, it was impossible to tell the two beers apart. A bit like duff brewery in The Simpsons, the same pipe goes to Duff lager, Duff premium, and Duff gold!
I think Swan lager is still made somewhere, but there are now so many different beers from all sorts of micro brewerys I don't think the brands are countable.
As for myself, I don't drink any more so couldn't tell you much about it.
Oh, except for when I visit my son and his family in Northern NSW.
THEN, I drink!
Picture towing your little caravan down a rough muddy track, wiping along the trees both sides, and coming to a clearing with a house. Its muddy everywhere. It rains and rains.
While I am setting up my van and annexe, my 2 y.o. grandson is pulling stuff out of my car and running off with it into the bush. I try to keep the doors locked all the time but he is too quick.
He tests the annexe poles to see if they will fall down. While I am picking them up, he tests the knots on the guy ropes.
So I drink while I am camping there. I drink anything. It's great fun, camping.

Geoff, I'm like you, my drinking stopped when I was discharged from the navy. I never found the need once I left.
I have been having a good look at Perth on the internet, it has certainly change since I was there in the late 60's. Although now the place looks so stunning, if the pictures are anything to go by.
Incidentally, my son and his new wife is visiting Perth in January. His wife has family in Port Kennedy.
It is one of my regrets not to have made the move down under when I had the opportunity. But that's life, we make our choices and we live with the hand that fate deals us!!

David

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Printer-friendly version    Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: