Caravan Reviews, Caravan Accessory Reviews
Caravan Reviews
Caravan sales and classifieds section
Caravan Sales
Useful Caravan Downloads
Caravan Downloads
Your Caravan Facts Account
Your Caravan Account
caravan forums, caravan reviews, UK Caravans, Caravan chat, aravanning, Caravan Campsite Reviews Caravan Facts
Featured Classifieds

Random Campsite
East Fleet Farm Touring Park,

UK Campsite UK

East Fleet Farm Touring Park, Photo

Full Details

Caravanning Chat Rooms
Caravan Chat

0 Members connected
2 Chat Rooms
0 members chatting

Chat Now

Accessibility

(increase text size)

Top Caravanners
MemberPoints
1: Sysinfo6167
2: Jonny1234534
3: chenchen124953968
4: ding07283732
5: roboughton3580
6: xxyckt3360
7: kang3116
8: gwc2515
9: zz5202192
10: mqqfgf1764
Learn more
Top 50 Users

Caravan Facts :: View topic - Fiamma or Bradcot Portico Awning ?
BookmarksBookmarks  •   Watched TopicsWatched Topics  •   Arcade  •   Attachments  •   Buddy List  •   Forum FAQ  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Memberlist  •   Log in to check your private messages
View Online  •   Ranks  •   Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff Site  •   Log in 

Sponsor this forum
Welcome to Caravan Facts, we are a caravan community. Why Not JOIN NOW and get instant access to more of the website. It costs nothing to join and only takes a few minutes.
We also have unique facilities not found elsewhere such as our Online Logbook, stopover tracker, Caravan Business directory with Ebay type feedback and a repository of caravan campsites reviews.

Fiamma or Bradcot Portico Awning ?

Post new topic���Reply to topic���Printer-friendly version ���Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Awnings
 :: :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dc2

Caravan: Swift Conqueror 530
Towcar:none

Medals: None

Referred By: Google
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:45 pm� �Post subject: Gniark ! Fiamma or Bradcot Portico Awning ?
Thank this member for this post Reply with quote

Anyone out there got any advice on either the Fiamma Caravan awning or the Bradcot Portico porch awning. We are trying to decide ona good awning for our Swift Conqueror 530. Any advice welcomed please.
ocsid
Rally-er
Rally-er

Caravan: Hymer 500 Series
Towcar:DISCO

england.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:56 am� �Post subject:  

Fiamma Caravan awning or the Bradcot Portico porch awning

If the Fiamma is the rolled in bag canopy with or without tied in place sides/front then it would not be my choice of awning.
Its not robust enough to withstand the same levels of wind as a conventional framed awning.
If used other than a sunshade it takes quite a lot of time to erect and dismantle.
It cant be dried and aired in the garage [well mine] so drying properly opportunities are more limited.
It compromises use of other awnings/shades. We like to use different awnings for different tasks.

I am not a fan of the Bradcot Portico but like part awnings of this generic type. Our choice was the Magnum and we use that extensively and thoroughly recommend it. It would be my choice even secondhand well in front of most others new. In Ventura guise its just as good and cheaper.
My dislike with the Bradcot specifically was the awful telescopic aluminium frame Bradcot use or did use. It was prone in wind to creep back losing tension and ultimately with my friends a pole bent irreparably [but it was replaceable]. If they have moved to a GRP system it would make it a far better option.
dc2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm� �Post subject: Oh yes ! Awning Advice

Many thanks ocsid, That was a very comprehensive reply and very helpful as we set about purchasing our first awning. We collect the caravan shortly and we need an awning just for storage of chairs etc and for our 2 dogs. So we would like an easy to erect, not too big and robust to withstand our windy West of ireland weather. On your suggestion we have looked at the ventura wesite. Which model would you recommend ? Thanks again.
ocsid
Rally-er
Rally-er

Show them Below >>

england.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 pm� �Post subject:  

dc2,

I would be sizing up their "Marlin" part awning.

http://www.ventura-camping.com/uk/awnings/ventura-awnings-marlin.html

It would afford reasonable room without too much wet canvas to cope with on occasions it has to come down in the rain.
Its certainly rugged and easy to erect single handed if you go about that correctly. These awnings have a big plus in that they are often transferable to another van; unlike a full awning which has to be a van unique size.

I would advise you check carefully that it can be fitted without one side coming against a window. Whilst many people accept this I dont like it as it can lead to micro fretting of the window, as well as looking a bit naff from within the van. I dont think its a show stopper but its a bit negative and something to know about. The fretting marks can be polished out of the window.
dc2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm� �Post subject:  Ventura marlin or Basic Large

Great advice again.....many thanks.
What do you think of the Ventura Basic Large awning ?
Would it much easier and quicker to put up and down than the Marlin ?
Thanks again.
dc2
ocsid
Rally-er
Rally-er

england.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:16 am� �Post subject:  Re: Ventura marlin or Basic Large

dc2 wrote:
Great advice again.....many thanks.
What do you think of the Ventura Basic Large awning ?
Would it much easier and quicker to put up and down than the Marlin ?
Thanks again.
dc2

I dont know that awning other than from the website but hopefully it is better than most of the other hoop pole based units.
I am far from a fan of the light weight awning and cant see they compare with the "conventional" framed awnings from premier makers. Generally they fare poorly with wind relative again to a quality conventional awning. Most have to be extensively pegged with guys something I rarely need. A colleague has an Apache Milano porch but this has a substantial aluminium frame and of the type that is quite good.

Despite many being called "quick erect" I dont see from watching others put them up that they are either "much" quicker or easier than I achieve. It's all in technique, when it comes to the frame it's centre rafter and upright first up last down. So my personal choice would unreservedly be for the Marlin. It uses a mix of acrylic for breathable sides and sealed polyester for the roof and an option for the excellent GRP frame, about as optimum build spec as it can be. Don't be tempted to save s and go for the steel frame; in this size awning its not needed GRP is plenty strong enough, and the steel's weight is a lifetimes curse.
Klyne
Rally-er
Rally-er

Caravan: Swift Archway Rockingham
Towcar:Kia Sorento

austria.gif

Referred By: Website Link
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 am� �Post subject:  

We gave up on ordinary awnings some time ago. We did have a porch awning but decided it was neither fish nor fowl and as much trouble as putting up a full awning! We have used a Fiamma Caravanstore on two caravans now and we find it the best compromise for us. However we don't usually stay in anyone place for more than a week and often less. Its easy to put up and take down. Although as has been said its not so good in windy conditions and we have to be prepared to take it down if it gets too windy.

David

Post new topic���Reply to topic ���Printer-friendly version ���Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Awnings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: