Grey streaks - How to prevent
# # Forum FAQ
[/[Printable Version]\]

Caravan Facts -> Top Tips

#:  Grey streaks - How to prevent Author: WestcellLocation: Standish Wigan Lancashire PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:40 am
    —
Hello chaps and chapesses

I came up with this idea to prevent grey streaks - yes I know with a bit of fenwicks you can remove them but it's quite easy to prevent them too.

I had an old awning skirt in the shed, you know the one which slides into the J rail under the door for the full length of the van.

Cut it to length and then trim it to 3 inches wide, retaining the rail bead.

Slide it into the top awning rail on the side of the van which the rain water pours from and hey presto you have an easy to put on and off grey streak preventer which will save hours of fenwicking. You can't leave it the full width of the standard skirt because it will sag too much so cut it down to about 3 inches and it will stick out like a small porch for the full length of the van.

Obviously you can't do this when your awning's up and you don't need to as the awning will prevent grey streaks by being present. But on the other side (off side) you can use it at the same time you are on site.

Just an idea..... Phil

#:   Author: cfadmindaveLocation: Budleigh Salterton PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:48 am
    —
sounds a good idea Phil, can't see any reason why it shoudnt be done Smile

and like you say saves hours of elbow grease Wink

#:  Re: Grey streaks - How to prevent Author: roboughtonLocation: North Wales, Near Colwyn Bay PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:05 am
    —
Westcell wrote:
Hello chaps and chapesses

I came up with this idea to prevent grey streaks - yes I know with a bit of fenwicks you can remove them but it's quite easy to prevent them too.

I had an old awning skirt in the shed, you know the one which slides into the J rail under the door for the full length of the van.

Cut it to length and then trim it to 3 inches wide, retaining the rail bead.

Slide it into the top awning rail on the side of the van which the rain water pours from and hey presto you have an easy to put on and off grey streak preventer which will save hours of fenwicking. You can't leave it the full width of the standard skirt because it will sag too much so cut it down to about 3 inches and it will stick out like a small porch for the full length of the van.

Obviously you can't do this when your awning's up and you don't need to as the awning will prevent grey streaks by being present. But on the other side (off side) you can use it at the same time you are on site.

Just an idea..... Phil

What a good idea have you found it works well Phil? This sounds so good i think it should be moved to top tip section Smile

#:   Author: WestcellLocation: Standish Wigan Lancashire PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:53 am
    —
From what I can see it stops the streaks that are hard to reach ie top rail. But it won't stop them from the windows if the rain comes at an angle.

You can only but try.

Phil

#:   Author: caravanlucy PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:22 am
    —
great tip. Thanks

#:   Author: Allen PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 pm
    —
Good tips, thanks for sharing!

#:   Author: alivan PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:47 am
    —
recently tried this.....great tip

Caravan Facts -> Top Tips