Caravan Reviews, Caravan Accessory Reviews
Caravan Reviews
Caravan sales and classifieds section
Caravan Sales
Useful Caravan Downloads
Caravan Downloads
Your Caravan Facts Account
Your Caravan Account
caravan forums, caravan reviews, UK Caravans, Caravan chat, aravanning, Caravan Campsite Reviews Caravan Facts
Featured Classifieds

Random Campsite
Camping almoetia

Italian Campsite Italy

Camping almoetia Photo

Full Details

Caravanning Chat Rooms
Caravan Chat

0 Members connected
2 Chat Rooms
0 members chatting

Chat Now

Accessibility

(increase text size)

Top Caravanners
MemberPoints
1: Sysinfo6167
2: Jonny1234534
3: chenchen124953968
4: ding07283732
5: roboughton3580
6: xxyckt3360
7: kang3116
8: gwc2515
9: zz5202192
10: mqqfgf1764
Learn more
Top 50 Users

Caravan Facts :: View topic - Brand new awning or second hand?
BookmarksBookmarks  •   Watched TopicsWatched Topics  •   Arcade  •   Attachments  •   Buddy List  •   Forum FAQ  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Memberlist  •   Log in to check your private messages
View Online  •   Ranks  •   Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff Site  •   Log in 

Sponsor this forum
Welcome to Caravan Facts, we are a caravan community. Why Not JOIN NOW and get instant access to more of the website. It costs nothing to join and only takes a few minutes.
We also have unique facilities not found elsewhere such as our Online Logbook, stopover tracker, Caravan Business directory with Ebay type feedback and a repository of caravan campsites reviews.

Brand new awning or second hand?

Post new topic���Reply to topic���Printer-friendly version ���Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Awnings
 :: :: View previous topic :: View next topic
1990burstnerluxtwin
Part Timer
Part Timer

Caravan: lux burstner
Towcar:landrover discovery and pajero

Medals: None

Referred By: Google
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:27 am� �Post subject:  Brand new awning or second hand?
Thank this member for this post Reply with quote

as you may or may not know, we are due to collect our new van this week (1990 burstner twin axle lux 4 berth 20 ft)...

Now apparently this van comes with a 'sound' awning, however, the seller does not know what make it is... which would therefore lead me to believe that he doesn't know if it is sound or not!...!

SOOOOO my question is this...

I would like to get a new awning to be on the safe side, but have been told in the past that a brand new awning 'will' leak whereas a weathered one wont. Is this the case?

Thanks

Janey
mechanic
Full Timer
Full Timer

Caravan: Bailey Pageant S6 Bordeaux
Towcar:Nissan X-Trail Sport

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:54 am� �Post subject:  

Not heard of that one before, unless they were geting mistaken with condensation, which all awnings will suffer from new or old depending on the conditions.
Tony
ocsid
Rally-er
Rally-er

Caravan: Hymer 500 Series
Towcar:DISCO

england.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:09 am� �Post subject:  Re: Brand new awning or second hand?

1990burstnerluxtwin wrote:

I would like to get a new awning to be on the safe side, but have been told in the past that a brand new awning 'will' leak whereas a weathered one wont. Is this the case?

Thanks

Janey

The advice is very miss leading; yes if the awning is made of a natural cotton it might weep slightly the first time it rains but its not an issue. This is because the cotton swells when damped and takes up the bruising where the sewing needle has displaced the fabric; it only occurs once and it does not need rain even a damp dew will fix it.
Also very few awnings are now made of natural cotton.

On a more general note and particularly with a van your size I would definitely look to buy a secondhand super quality awning like an Isabella or Ventura rather than spend the same money on a cheaper new one. They lose a lot of money once out of the box so you will save a lot and have something very good that way.

Finally think twice with your size van if you really can live with a full awning; they can be a lot to cope with and many see little use because of this. Would a part awning better suit your needs?
roboughton

Caravan: Buccaneer Caravel (06)
Towcar:Mercedes ML 280 CDI (09)

wales.gif

Referred By: Other Search Engine
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:51 am� �Post subject:  Re: Brand new awning or second hand?

ocsid wrote:
1990burstnerluxtwin wrote:

Thanks

Janey

The advice is very miss leading; yes if the awning is made of a natural cotton it might weep slightly the first time it rains but its not an issue. This is because the cotton swells when damped and takes up the bruising where the sewing needle has displaced the fabric; it only occurs once and it does not need rain even a damp dew will fix it.
Also very few awnings are now made of natural cotton.

On a more general note and particularly with a van your size I would definitely look to buy a secondhand super quality awning like an Isabella or Ventura rather than spend the same money on a cheaper new one. They lose a lot of money once out of the box so you will save a lot and have something very good that way.

Finally think twice with your size van if you really can live with a full awning; they can be a lot to cope with and many see little use because of this. Would a part awning better suit your needs?

sound advice not much to add, a new quality awning for your size van would be very expensive I would check out the one that comes with it first

1990burstnerluxtwin
Part Timer
Part Timer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:22 pm� �Post subject:  

thanks for the advice...

We should be collecting said van tomorrow, however the electric hook up on my car that should have been fitted today wasn't because the garage shut up shop! grrrr!

So we are getting her tomorrow, but later than anticipated and will have to stay on the site for an extra day to 'test' the awning that comes with her....

Good sound advice thanks very much, plus i have noticed that awnings on ebay are not selling as well as they were, wrong time of year maybe, We unfortunatly can not get away with not having an awning (full size) as when the whole family are together, my kids, my partner and his kids there are going to be 8 of us!!!!!

So either way we have to have one... not to mention the dogs! lol They need their space too!

thanks again,

Janey x

ps i don't know what i would do without this site sometimes!
Sysinfo

Caravan: Lunar Clubman ES 2010
Towcar:Outlander elegance 2008

blank.gif

Referred By: Outdoor Bits
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:34 pm� �Post subject:  

I hope your trip to collect the new van is fruitful. As for the awning, try it, you can't lose.

Bob

Retired and happy, spending the kids inheritence
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN MessengerClick Here to see my Caravan Photo Gallery
1990burstnerluxtwin
Part Timer
Part Timer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:21 pm� �Post subject:  

Very Happy

We have her home now and to be honest there isn't much wrong with her.....
however,

The awning is canvas and from an era that most on here would chose to forget, its bright orange and bright green with yellow patterned roof... An Isabella no less! The thing that really brought tears to my eyes was the brown dangly fringe all around it!

So i have just gone for a pyramid orion with bedroom annexe!

The ven itself... well the issues i have with her are for a different post, which includes what exactly delamination is - as i have a soft bit just by the door!

Thhanks for your advice,
Janey
Post new topic���Reply to topic ���Printer-friendly version ���Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Awnings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: