Caravan Reviews, Caravan Accessory Reviews
Caravan Reviews
Caravan sales and classifieds section
Caravan Sales
Useful Caravan Downloads
Caravan Downloads
Your Caravan Facts Account
Your Caravan Account
caravan forums, caravan reviews, UK Caravans, Caravan chat, aravanning, Caravan Campsite Reviews Caravan Facts
Featured Classifieds

Random Campsite
Camping Municipal Brioux

French Campsite France

Camping Municipal Brioux Photo

Full Details

Caravanning Chat Rooms
Caravan Chat

0 Members connected
2 Chat Rooms
0 members chatting

Chat Now

Accessibility

(increase text size)

Top Caravanners
MemberPoints
1: Sysinfo6167
2: Jonny1234534
3: chenchen124953968
4: ding07283732
5: roboughton3580
6: xxyckt3360
7: kang3116
8: gwc2515
9: zz5202192
10: mqqfgf1764
Learn more
Top 50 Users

Caravan Facts :: View topic - Tensioning
BookmarksBookmarks  •   Watched TopicsWatched Topics  •   Arcade  •   Attachments  •   Buddy List  •   Forum FAQ  •   Search  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Memberlist  •   Log in to check your private messages
View Online  •   Ranks  •   Rules  •   Statistics  •   Staff Site  •   Log in 

Sponsor this forum
Welcome to Caravan Facts, we are a caravan community. Why Not JOIN NOW and get instant access to more of the website. It costs nothing to join and only takes a few minutes.
We also have unique facilities not found elsewhere such as our Online Logbook, stopover tracker, Caravan Business directory with Ebay type feedback and a repository of caravan campsites reviews.

Tensioning

Post new topic���Reply to topic���Printer-friendly version ���Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Awnings
 :: :: View previous topic :: View next topic
David

Caravan: Bailey Pageant Bretagne
Towcar:VW Caravelle

Medals: None

Referred By: Google
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:59 pm� �Post subject:  Tensioning
Thank this member for this post Reply with quote

I have a Pyramid Tuscany awning and after putting it up 4 times now i am able to get it tensioned quite well. I have found that if I keep the distance from when the awning finishes in the rail to the ground the same on both ends of the caravan (particularly on a slope) and keep this constant all around the awning, it looks pretty good.

The one thing I have a problem with is the flap that sticks out from the front of the awning. This can be a bit floppy and in a strong wind comes loose from the centre pole. How can I get this flap as tight as the rest of the awning ?
roboughton

Caravan: Buccaneer Caravel (06)
Towcar:Mercedes ML 280 CDI (09)

wales.gif

Referred By: Other Search Engine
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:13 pm� �Post subject:  

When you say flap do you mean the bottom or top of the awning?

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:32 am� �Post subject:  

It is part of the roof section where it extends out past the front of the awning. I can't seem to get it stretched tightly between the centre pole and the two corner poles.
gwc
Rally-er
Rally-er

Trade or Business related member
Trade Member

Caravan: What ever is in stock ...... Not a lot at the moment!
Towcar:BMW 528I Touring

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 am� �Post subject:  

Is it only me that finds it hilarious that David has a floppy flap that needs tightening Laughing Exclamation
roboughton

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:35 am� �Post subject:  

nope it made me chuckle in bed last night GWC

David does the centre pole not come through the awning to the veranda area? can you get any pictures of it?

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:25 pm� �Post subject:  

This is a photo of the first time I put it up (very badly). I have it looking much better now but there is still some sagging at the top. The three top poles come through the awning and there is a hook at the end of these that an eyelet on each pole goes over. I have found that in a strong wind the eyelet comes off the centre pole hook.

I do have the awning tensioned much better now but the veranda is still a bit loose. If I drop the corner poles a couple of inches would that help ?
roboughton

wales.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:23 pm� �Post subject:  

looking at the picture it all needs tightening up you probably need to tighten every bar but start with the front span. Get yourself and awning tensioner from ebay or caravan shop. When you put it up dont try to tension it until every pole is in place, practice will make perfect!!! if you ever see one you envy on site just ask the owner to show you how, they wont bite and i am sure they will be very proud you asked them.

Also note your van looks quite high in the picture so the awning is only just touching the floor. I always try to get the grey skirt to curve back inside the awning

Langy01
Rally-er
Rally-er

Caravan: Swift Doublette
Towcar:Santa FE

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:04 am� �Post subject:  

Looking at your picture, do you not have poles that go along the very front section of the awning?

Mine has another two poles that stretch across that front section. If you look under the front lip you may well find that there is a place for poles to fit in.

Langy

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:23 am� �Post subject:  

This picture was taken on our first trip so it was very much a learning experience. Buying steel pegs was an afterthought when getting the awning and I only got 12 not realising how many pegs were needed. Also, we had just been through some wild weather the night before so the awning was looking a bit sorry for itself - I was just glad it was still standing in the morning. The first thing I did after this trip was buy a bag of screw pegs from ebay. I have been getting better at putting it up each time and really must start taking more photographs which would show where improvements can be made.

This site has a slope from right to left in the picture and I had to put 4" blocks under the wheel to get the van level so that meant the skirt barely touched the ground at either end of the awning rail. I could have turned the van the other way but then the view out my front window would have been other caravans instead of the Atlantic.

Langy, I have a front span that goes inside the awning and when tensioned they keep the main body of the awning quite tight but the veranda section is still a bit loose. I might try to splay the end roof poles a bit so that they are closer at the caravan end and further apart at the outside.

This picture from the gallery is how my awning looked the last time I put it up [img]https://www.caravanfacts.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Caravanners-and-Caravanning&id=21032008_G&op=modload&name=Photo_Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
I would like it to look like this [img]https://www.caravanfacts.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album01&id=seaveiw_2005_new_van&op=modload&name=Photo_Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]
Post new topic���Reply to topic ���Printer-friendly version ���Caravan Facts Forum Index -> Caravan Awnings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: